Actually that's the exact problem: the administration has nearly doubled
their expectations of NASA and yet NASA's budget has only grown by 7% over
the last four years.

They've placed such a burden on NASA to complete manned missions that many
of the most successful unmanned missions (Voyager, Hubble and to many solar
and Earth-based climatology satellites to count) will have to be cut loose.

Add to this the tremendous unexpected costs of the shuttle disaster and the
International Space Station and happily unexpected (but costly) extended
missions (such a the Mars rovers and Deep Space One) and you've got yourself
one squeezed to the bone space agency.

I misspoke when I said "cutting the budget" - the budget has grown... a
little.  ;^)  But in the end I would, conversationally, categorize a huge
step in demands with not enough money to fund them as "cutting the budget".

Jim Davis