On 9/13/05, Michael Dinowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to work and what happens? I get a half dozen phone spam calls from
> people endorsing different politicians in NY. Like that's going to make me
> want to vote more for these people.
> And having Reverend Al phone me? Yeah, that'll make sure I don't vote for his
> candidate.

From:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/dncalrt.htm

"30. Are calls from political organizations or calls soliciting for
charities covered?
Political solicitations are not covered by the TSR at all, since they
are not included in its definition of "telemarketing." Charities are
not covered by the requirements of the national registry. However, if
a third-party telemarketer is calling on behalf of a charity, a
consumer may ask not to receive any more calls from, or on behalf of,
that specific charity. If a third-party telemarketer calls again on
behalf of that charity, the telemarketer may be subject to a fine of
up to $11,000."

I've heard that some people actually make decent money from writing
these companies after they have violated your request not to call
again and offering to "settle" pending court action for some amount of
cash.

-Cameron