People are still going to take a lot of crap, whatever happens with the pledge.
That's why this whole thing is so stupid.

We have this decades-long struggle going on in San Diego over the cross on top
of Mount Soledad. The cross was erected in the 1950's as a memorial to the
veterans of the Korean War. A local atheist sued the city, which owns the land,
to remove the cross, and the case has been in court forever. Recently, a judge
ruled that the cross was a violation and had to come down. The citizens of San
Diego responded by voting overwhelmingly in a referendum to transfer the land
to the federal government as a national monument. The same judge has blocked
the transfer of the land, and the case is still pending. We've spent millions
and millions of dollars legislating this issue. That is nuts.