Gruss my friend, with you everything is economic analysis. This piece is
intended to perhaps provide an insight. Not to explain causes or to provide
solutions.
 While I congratulate you on sticking it out through college, I submit that
while you were sleeping on friends couches or in the 24-hour room at the
library or whatever it was that you were doing, that it probably pretty much
sucked, maybe as much as trying to feed and house two small children on
fifty cents an hour.
 And furthermore, I submit, had you been in the path of a natural disaster
during that time, you would also have needed some help to get out. Many
people do at various times need some sort of help with something.
 By the way, when I was in the flood I was not over-extended because Iwas
not working -- I had a long pay-on-completion project that would have meant
a great deal of repeat work once I turned it in. I was about 80% through.
But enough about that. I think Deanna is right. It is easy to say get a job,
or go to school. It does not work out that well for everyone. The fact that
you and I are some of the lucky does not make us smarter, or better prepared
necessarily. It could well be that some of us are merely lucky and smug ;P
 Dana