It hasn't become such a place, really. Or nothing has really changed
and in parts of the country they always were that way.

I considered myself an athiest and then agnostic from age 10 on, and
there were some repurcussions in Boy Scouts from that, but less than I
got in school, baseball and public in general. For the most part my
fellow scoutsw respected diversity and understood and praticed the
freedoms we Americans enjoy.

As someone said, it is a locally run thing. If the people around you
are accepting, then the troop will also be for the most part. If the
people around you are biggoted, then the troop will probably be as
well. But in my experience the kind of people drawn to scouting tend
to be nicer and more understanding than the average local populace.

If, though, you make a big stink about how you don't want to follow
their rules, then yes, they will have no choice but to act on it and
enforce the rules. Especially if you bring down the wrath of the
district or national group on their heads.

Of course, I feel sorry for an atheistic gay scout in Alabama, but I
would eel sorry for them in school and in society there as well.