Sometimes you can just "walk off" and camp wherever, but you usually need a
permit first. For example, in Rocky Mountain National _Park_ you have to
camp in designated spaces. But, you can go to the ranger station and fill
out a permit form and park at a trailhead that has a trail that goes out of
the park into the national _forest_ where you can camp wherever you want.
Cool, eh?