Hi Beth,

Timing may have something to do with it... but age does as well.   When
you are young and inexperienced, you don't know how to handle certain
situations.. you don't know what you want to do in the future.. hell you
don't even know if you want kids... as you pointed out Beth.

However, as you mature, you have a better idea of what you want.  You
learn to be to the point (a lot of us do anyway), you learn how to
communicate, you learn how to respect, you don't play emotional
games...  maybe you feel age doesn't play a part... but if you compare
dating experiences of people who dated at 20, compared to people who
start dating at 30, I think you will notice a HUGE difference.

IMO, age play's a very big part.

Timing may play a part in meeting a partner, but age and maturity make
the difference when dealing with a succesful relationship.

Both my wife and I, as I mentioned, were in 10 year relationships
before... I entered that relationship at about 20... and to me it was
all about sex... to hell with the other stuff, I was a guy after all...
and that's all I was interested in (well almost).  I got stuck in that
relationship, which ended up being very unfulfilling, and I was too
young and immature to see that it was not doing me any good.  Yeah, I
was probably week for not getting out of it sooner... but I wonder how
many couples are still married for that same reason??

It's not about wanting to get married... Dee had been married before,
she wasn't particularly ready to get married again.  She had a child
from the previous marriage and wasn't about to rush into anything else
with someone she wasn't sure about.  She couldn't put her son through
that, and I wouldn't have wanted to risk hurting Connor.  I think Connor
was also the reason we were so upfront in the early stages... I came
from a single parent family, and swore blind that I would not follow in
the same footsteps.. so there was no way on the planet I was going to
string Dee and Connor along.  Dee, being a very similar person to
myself, would do nothing to risk hurting Connor either.  And Dee didn't
need a man in her life... she's a succesful illustrator.. she didn't get
hooked up with me because she needed a guy in her life.

I believe it very much is to do with age.  Age and maturity give us the
ability to deal with lifes hurdles and to express what we need and
desire.

Ok.. will stop rambling!!