Well, there are lots of differences but I believe that to be one of
them.  I'm not too well steeped on the inner workings of other
religions, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about Catholicism.  I know other
religions have a real problem with the Pope.  Not so much the political
aspect, which is unavoidable, but his role in the Church.  Again, it's a
praise/worship issue.  Many of the more "contemporary" religions have
real issues with it.  I'm speaking in the context of Christianity mind
you.  I can't speak about Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and all of
those other -isms.  I have basic understandings of them, but I would not
feel comfortable commenting on them.

I know that the Catholic church has been putting much greater emphasis
over the past several years on faith and good works, especially the good
works.  For years, especially pre-1960's, the church taught that
following the rules was really, REALLY important.  Most of the rules
made little to no sense to most lay people and the church was very stern
in its preachings and dealings with the congregations.  It's not like
that now.  I really enjoy going to masses on Sunday because it's such a
positive and uplifting vibe.

Michael Corrigan
Programmer
Endora Digital Solutions