if this thinking I am positing was in fact what was going through his mind,
it seems a bit cowardly.
 Yet. Remember that the consensus amongst journalists has been that this is
not the case that should get pursued for protecting a source, which does not
have support in law right now, because the purpose in protecting a source is
to keep open channels that might expose abuse of power, but this is a case
in which the the leak *was an abuse of power.
 But whether I agree with you depends on what you mean by deal. If in fact I
am correct in thinking that I saw that his source has testified -- yet
neither Woodward nt the prosecutor has relvealed the name -- it seems that
perhaps an arrangement was reached where everyone's concerns were met. If so
this is a honorable solution.
 But according to the code of ethics he is working from he would go to jail
if necessary, yes. He has to. That is why protected sources are so rare.
There really would be no alternative for a journalist of his stature and
reputation, not after Deep Throat. Look what happened to Novak! And it isn't
even known who Novak's source was, just that he must have dealt.
 Right now I am just watching. I may speculate but I don't really have an
opinion. He may have allowed himself to become entangled in a news story,
which is a nono for a journalist, but he did not leap out into the limelight
and in fact tried to avoid the issue. Pity he had to comment on the case
though -- he really should have said he did not have an opinion or did not
want to talk about it.
 I feel a little sorry for him. It has to be hard when your career peaks at
what, 28?
 Dana