Here is my suggestion... something that just 'leaves your foot in the door'.

*** *** ***

Good afternoon XXXX,

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me this afternoon --I appreciated
the opportunity to learn about your organization and the applications you are
developing.

After our discussion, I understand that I am not the candidate you are looking
for, but I still feel it was worthwhile to sit down and discuss how I might
have fit as a teammember.

Have a fantastic weekend and all the best in your search for the right
developer!

Me