> RoMunn wrote:
> so I find it more than a little ironic that you see no problem with it.
> That argument is over, we won. See 1990-1991. Communism blows chunks.

I'm not saying that *I* would favor it, I'm saying it's presumptuous
to think everyone feels as we do.  Again, I happen to know a couple of
people who don't see the great benefit to their lives today versus
under communism - and they're plenty smart.

> >Iraq, in contrast, is democracy from the top down.
> There is an implicit contradiction in this argument.

No - it's a question of policy.  I happen to think the best way to
build a democratic nation (if you think that's a wise thing to
endeavour in the first place) is to start locally and let the it grow
organically all the while providing the law and order necessary for
healthy growth.

What I don't think is smart is to try to hold national elections
before there's local interest groups or local peace.  You're almost
encouraging civil war.