It doesn't have to be.

Collectivist government is when we as individuals are responsible to take
care of one another.

Government can be a force that is really only there to protect the rights of
the individual.  The military, police, courts are really all that are
necessary.  As far as I am concerned laws should only be written that are
targeted at protecting the rights of the individual.