I'm about to ask some questions about poverty, race and the school systems that
are meant to spur debate and for my own personal learning and growth, not
because I espouse a belief one way or the other on the merit of any ideas or
statements made here.

This comes about because of the huge battles in our local school district where
I live (Charlotte, NC, and it's the Mecklenburg School Board)

1)  Why is it important that a school be "racially diverse"?
2)  Is it more important that a school be "racially diverse" as opposed to
"locally attended"?
3)  Children are taught that everybody of every race is equal.  If this is
true, then why the constant battle to achive racially balanced schools?  What
difference does it make?
4) Does "racially diverse" = "economically diverse" in actuality?
5) Why is a school of all white or all black wrong?  How are they different?
6) Would you call achieving "racial diversity" in a school to be a form of
"social engineering"? Why or why not?
7) Is "social engineering" morally and/or ethically acceptable?
8) Why do schools with more poverty students do worse than those with student
who come from wealthier families?
9) How is economic diversity expected to fix these kinds of problems?

When answering, please include some of your own experiences with racial
diversity or economic diversity and the school system, if you have any.