Essentially if they can get the access they need we'll get a guarantee (of
sorts) in the vein of "there is no mold in the area examined".  The basement
is paneling, not drywall - and there's plenty of "access points" (over the
drop ceiling, next to the heaters, etc) so it's very likely that the
paneling can be lifted back or swabs can be inserted or something allowing
the inspection to be completed without destroying it.

Essentially I've asked for a confidence assessment of the assessment: if we
can't get a confident answer of "no problem" then we walk.

The real question is how much access the current home owner will allow - if
he's a problem or we can't get an answer without tearing up the place and
the inspector can't inspect then we've really no choice but to walk.

> They can test the air and that would tell them if there is active mold
> spores in the air, but mold can go domant for years.

True.  The examination is a general sight inspection, current air-quality
testing and a review of potential mold indicators (humidity, environment,
etc).

No inspection can be 100% unless you inspect just bare framing - I'm willing
to accept a confident but not 100% sure answer.  But I just can't accept "I
don't know".

Jim Davis