Well hell, nobody took my nickname comment and asked "but why 'zeke'
as a nickname?"

My current theory: Ezekiel

Some biblical details on Ezekiel:
- An exile who settled a "colony" of Israelites in Babylonia.
- Was a prophet. Basically served as a press secretary telling people
what's what. (In Ezekiel's case: the fall of Jerusalem, that trying to
save it is futile, and that judgement is coming. Perhaps the island is
operating as a sort of doomsday cult kind of thing.)
- Revived the dead.

I'm not wedded to the idea but biblical references are happening in
the show. The problem with the theory for me is mostly that it
requires Sawyer to be pretty well versed in theology which I don't
think has ever been part of his character.

Some other Zeke and episode details:

http://yahoo.eonline.com/Insider/Boards/ann.jspa?annID=343