> No, he is Pontificus Maximus or the Supreme Bridge Builder.  He is
> Christ's Vicar on Earth, not his incarnation.  If anything, he would be
> the corporeal incarnation of St. Peter, the first See of Rome.  However,
> we Catolics see him as purely human, speaking for the entire church.
>
> The principle of infallibility allows him to speak, after a great deal of
> prayer and meditation, with the voice of the Holy Spirit.  There is more
> and less to that principle, but that is the simplest explanation.  To my
> knowledge, this has only been used twice this century and only on dogmatic
> issues.
>
> Russel

That is true, i shouldn't have used the term "incarnation". The principle of
infallibility is one that everyone tends to get hung up on. It has only been
invoked a few times throughout history, and is only true when the Pope is
speaking "Ex Cathedra" (right?) or "From the Chair of Peter".

It can only be used on issues of faith and morals and cannot contradict
anything the church has previously taught as doctrine.