Interesting. And I notice that you mention slate roof and that's what
I saw on some sites I googled about the guards. Growing up in
Minneapolis we didn't have them, and yes we had a more moderately
pitched roof. Not flat by any means though.

What's interesting though is that we didn't shovel the roof to prevent
collapse, we shoveled to prevent an ice dam forming at the  edges of
the roof where the snow would melting snow would potentially refreeze.
If an ice dam formed, the melted snow would back up and potentially
cause the roof to leak and rot.

When I looked at the snow guards, I saw an artificial ice dam.