> gMoney wrote:
> Actually, in this country anyway, "left" and "right" are tending to mean
> less about a style of governing, and more about a set of social and moral
> beliefs.

Yeah.  These days in the US if you're "conservative" it appears to
mean you're an anti-Gay, wire-tapping, nation building, big gov't
loving demagogue.  Lefties are the opposite apparently.

The traditional labels still seem to hold in Europe, though.  There my
stand-on-your-own-two-feet-and-take-responsibility-for-your-actions
philosophy definitely makes me conservative.  Positively Victorian in
some eyes.

After all the world has seen the 20th century I still marvel at how
people have this strange idea that once a human takes a job in
government they instantly become an unflawed altruist whose source of
money is a magical tree and who can be trusted implicitly.

The scary thing is that Pres Bush has imported the "trusted
implicitly" to the US and now you have people saying, "Give the gov't
unlimited power.  They'll only use it on Al Quaeda."

::shivers::