I've shown the opposite. there's a statistically significant higher
accident rate when people use cell phones while driving. Talking to
someone on a cell phone takes a proportionately larger amount of our
attentional resources than many other events while driving (eg.,
http://www.antiwrap.com/?892;
http://www.antiwrap.com/?893;
http://www.antiwrap.com/?894;
http://www.antiwrap.com/?895;
http://www.antiwrap.com/?896
http://www.antiwrap.com/?897
just a small sample. Entrez-Med listed over ).

What this means is that you're paying a lot less attention to what is
going on around you, and hence more likely to get into an accident.
One of the more telling studies was by  Strayer  and  Drews (2004;
Profiles in driver distraction: effects of cell phone conversations on
younger and older drivers. Hum Factors. 2004 Winter;46(4):640-9. ).

http://www.antiwrap.com/?898
"Compared with single-task (i.e., driving-only) conditions, when
drivers used cell phones their reactions were 18% slower, their
following distance was 12% greater, and they took 17% longer to
recover the speed that was lost following braking. There was also a
twofold increase in the number of rear-end collisions when drivers
were conversing on a cell phone. These cell-phone-induced effects were
equivalent for younger and older adults..."

larry