Yeah - cashing in your 401k should be considered an option of absolute
last resort, even then you should think twice about it and find out
exactly how much the penalty is going to be.  You can actually roll
that intop an IRA and can even borrwo money out or it to do certain
things with it (I think buying a home and paying for college).  But
definitely check with a CPA before touching it at all.  Even just
rolling it over into an IRA improperly can trigger a penalty.

As for the stock gains - welcome to the Capital Gains Tax - which has
been discussed on this list and is usually framed by those leaning
toward solicalist ideals as a great way to "stick it to the man".
Duane, this year you are the man that these folks are sticking it to -
congrats!  You can thank them at any time.

-Cameron