It's possible to use mods on Xbox live, but it's nothing like with the PC game.
With Xbox your account can be canceled for using a mod. All it takes is someone
to report you for them to start an investigation into if you're using mods or
not. I have been playing for months and have not ran across many people with
mods. It's much more difficult to mod your xbox as compared to your PC.

It is very fun to play on Xbox live, I was thinking the same as you, but after
playing at a buddy's house I had to buy it. You can get some games that come
with trials of xbox live for like 3 months. Then you can see how you like it.
It's the best online experience I have ever had. It's not like the PC where you
have to go on different servers to see if someone is playing your game. From
Xbox Live you can see who of your friends is on, ask them if they want to play,
if they have another game in and online it will tell you what game, you can
even message them to see if they want to stop playing that game and play the
game you're playing. Just try it, there is no way you're going to have a bad
experience.

Bob