I used to grind and clench my teeth badly and I'd wake up with a really
sore jaw and a headache. So I got a sports mouthguard, and that really
did the trick.  If anything, it made it less convenient to bite hard,
and I stopped grinding/clenching.  Sometimes I'd wake up and it'd have
fallen out, but I still wouldn't have a sore jaw or anything...  It
feels weird at first, but you get used to it.

Worth the 3 bucks.