> But where I take issue with this concern is when you apply
> it to nanotechnology, which is just as morally neutral as
> chemistry, just less understood. And when you consider
> that the mechanism of a vast number of pharmaceuticals is
> not understood, marketing anything *less* understood would
> seem a bit reckless. We've already had Vioxx, but we have
> to leap into the unknown over clean windows? Apparently
> so, because people will buy it.

> nonetheless, I think nanotechnology offers a lot of
> promise, so when you start talking about Borgs, well, that
> makes me think Luddite. We need to be more aware of the
> consequences of ALL our technology if you ask me.

That's been true of a great lot of our technology for a long time. Not
that I support that being the state of things, personally I think it's
pretty ill-conceived. It's like people saying the environment is a
secondary concern to the economy. People can survive without an
economy -- it might not be particularly pleasant, but they can in fact
survive. But if you look back over all the things we've done that have
caused various problems it's pretty sick, and not just because of
things like oil and central electricity (which were 2 of three major
system failures when hurricane Wilma hit Florida, proving that solar
power on the majority of houses and electrical vehicles would have
eliminated much if not most of the economic loss from people unable to
work - the 3rd system failure was phone, and that came back up for
most folks pretty quickly as a result of lots of underground cable
and/or cellular phones). We now have children growing up to be sickly
adults because their parents use too much Lysol. Tell me that's not
the result of indiscriminate (ab)use of technology (chemistry) and a
corporate need for sales.

s. isaac dealey     434.293.6201
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?

add features without fixtures with