Look for ways to reign in *ahem* "active" marketing types, hopefully
with an outsourceable solution. Something for them to run an outgoing
email through before they try to find an email vendor to send it.

These are double opt-in lists, but some of the content is periodically
being flagged as spam in certain systems.

I've found a couple of services that claim to help with this issue, for example
http://www.emailreach.com/

I don't want to try to build a solution, and it doesn't have to be
bulletproof, just a little better than "I think it looks OK".