> It's the knowing/translating-the-business part that can't be
> outsourced, so IT folks, especially developers, need to move west and
> up the waterfall to add value.

Without a doubt, the most valuable people in our office here are those who
understand the business side of that which we are tasked with translating
into web based systems. While technical expertise is important and
necessary, it can usually be replaced. But someone who understands the
business transaction flow, and can interact with users/clients to translate
that quickly and successfully into a usable tech system......that person is
invaluable. They are the last person to be fired/replaced....and if they
are, it usually means the company is going under.

It's very interesting to me because when I came out of college, with my BS
degree in hand, I was sure that computers fueled business. Learn to talk
with computers, and I was set...i thought. I learned early on that it works
the other way: business fuels computers. Learn to talk with people.....learn
the business first.....then use the computer to implement that business
model. The power is in knowing the business, not the technology.