The most important part is the lens. At night it is a little more
difficult, but get a lens that has a constant f2.8 minimum fstop.

My D100 as an ISO equiv of 3200, and my D2x will go to 6400 I think.

I usually don't go over 800, and in general I won't go over 400 when I
have my flash. Also, spend the money for an external flash.

I've never seen a built in flash on an SLR that was worth a damn.

Of course I'll take a couple thousand pictures a day. When in DC last I
took a couple hundred pictures one night. Hopefully I'll be in DC in
July for a conference. I hope to take a few more then.

Of course when I do night shots, I suck it up and take tripod if I'm
doing scenery.