** Private ** wrote:
> I think I understand perfectly. Here is the key phrase: "if there are a lot
> of high-priority
> packets to be delivered." So if bandwidth is saturated, lower priority
> content gets put in the low-priority queue. Companies do this internally
> with Internet-based WANs all the time. Does it make some things a little
> slower? Sure, when traffic is high. But it provides better service to
> functions that need it- video and voice, ERP systems, etc..

So that means that if I want to deliver VoIP services to subscribers that use a
last-mile controlled by you, I need to get in your high-priority queues. The
only way I am going to get in your high-priority queues is if I am going to pay
you for it. And you funnel that money to your own services, such as VoIP. That
means I am charged to be able to deliver VoIP, and you are subsidised to
deliver VoIP.
How exactly is anybody going to be able to compete with the party that owns the
last mile?

We have seen this before when baby-Bells where no longer required to rent the
local-loop to competitors on equal terms. No more competition on OSI layer 1.
Then when they were no longer required to deliver BitStream on equal terms. No
more competition on OSI layer 2. Soon they won't have any competition anymore
on OSI layer 3 and 4.
At what layer will you get concerned? Layer 8? 9?

Jochem