It was dumped for a similar system that will be developed by an American
vendor in the next 5 years. i.e. they dumped a perfectly good working system
that can save lives now for one that does not exist yet. One perfectly good
reason for this is that America does not want to use ANYTHING from Israel in
Iraq as it feeds into the 'insurgents' claims that this is all Israel's
fault. i.e. blame the Jews
(http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/message.cfm/forumid:5/messageid:205576).
Israel is one of two worldwide vendors that can supply a certain caliber
ammunition to the army and the order is that the bullets from Israel are
only to be used for training.

As for the system itself, it's a high tech ageus system that uses ultra high
speed targeted shotgun like projectiles to detonate not only the single head
of the RPG but all of them on a multi-head system. Reactive armor has a
problem besides weight in that all you need is a multi-head projectile and
it can be defeated. This has become the standard for attacking and a
'pre-hit' system that tries to take out one or more of the explosive heads
is a fantastic idea. Not a force field in the standard idea but still a
field of protection, of a sort.

The real problem is that the US army says they have this or that new weapon
and it never gets beyond the announcement phase. They've been promising us
lasers, sonic weapons and a whole lot more since I was a kid. Israel doesn't
have the luxury of making false promises of equipment. It's just an issue of
using it. I can just see an American plane forced not to land in Pakistan or
the UAE because it has an Israeli anti-missile system. (A European country
decided to ban El Al planes from landing in it because it had an
anti-missile system on it. Just wait till all planes have to have it)

Michael Dinowitz
Host: House of Fusion
    http://www.houseoffusion.com
Publisher: Fusion Authority