So... if you don't like playing with a motion sensitive controller where is
the innovation in Nintendo's camp?  ;^)  I think in both cases we might
expect an evolution of the technology - it won't be like the old sidewider
(although both will still have the problem of lack of resistance).

The reviews that I've seen so far have been very favorable for both the Wii
and PS3 motion sensitivity.  Of course we'll still have to see but so far
the outlook looks good.

Also it's matter of applicability.  A game like "Warhawk" may allow you a
choice of whether to use the traditional input or the motion sensitivity.
Other games might use the motion as an alternate button or in small doses
(many of the scripted scenes from "Resident Evil 4" or the new "Tomb Raider"
would have been fun that way).

The key is that the capability is built in, always on and ready to be used
when and if you need it.  In both systems it's not a gimmicky add-on - it's
a standard part of the experience.  If you don't like it you'll pick your
games accordingly.

I thought the EyeToy demo was shit-hot.

"Just play with a controller" defeats the purpose of the card game.
Collectible cards are a huge business and a fun hobby - cards can be rare,
traded, kept, sold, given as gifts, etc.  Perhaps the game could be played
without the PS3 as well - but the added dimension of the PS3 animation could
add a lot of fun when one was available.  It would also open up the
possibility of playing a physical card game with somebody over the network.

But still - the card game is just an example.  When you consider now that
the the system can recognize real-world items (and has processing power to
spare after doing it) it opens up a lot of possibilities.

I read comics... why not have a coded ideogram on the comic that, when
placed in front of the EyeToy gives you an online animation or voice-over
for the issue or some "secret" content no available on paper?  What about a
"Hot Wheels" set were the EyeToy can recognize the cars and watches the
race, then replays it in full 3D, HD glory?

You could play "DDR" just by wearing neon ankle bands (so that camera can
"see" your feet) and dancing on your floor as is without needing a dance
pad.

Swordplay with a real (well... neon foam) sword?  Sure.

The combined feedback from the motion-sensitive controller and the EyeToy
could be overlayed/averaged to make the system more understanding of your
movements than anything that's come before.

The EyeToy coupled with the Network capabilities coupled with the motion
sensitivity is going to open up a lot of interesting doors.

The only major issue is that the new EyeToy is NOT going to be ubiquitous
(as the Network and motion-sensitivity will be).  I really wish they had
packed the camera in the box.  Of course the EyeToy is one of, if not the,
most successful after-market peripheral for any system so it shouldn't hurt
things that much.

Jim Davis