> Dana wrote:
> please see the history of unionism in the 19th century,

Please see a history of unionism in the 21st century.  Unions are
dead.  Heard of the Northwest Airlines strike?  Their mechanics union
is still on strike almost a year later and the airline is flying just
fine.  Half of the workers crossed the line.  Does anybody care about
the union strike?  Nope.  Why?  Because there are plenty of jobs.
Unions are dead.

To show me the Great Poverty you speak of you'd need to show that an
average ready-to-work 18 year old just can't find a job like poor Tom
Joad in the Grapes of Wrath.  Cause that was life in the 30s.

Luckily for all of us, you can't.  Because anyone in this country
willing to work can have a job.  It may not be where they want, and it
may not be their dream job.  But if they're like Tom they'd have
literally thousands of opportunities.  Hell, ole Tom was willing to
travel all the way to Californee to look for the job.  Your average
kid today probably doesn't even have to leave his town.

But my point is that if we sit back while the rest of the world trains
their workers to work in this global economy then, yeah, our workers
will be out of jobs.

The race to the bottom is protectionism.