I think there is only one real issue, the war. The economy is very good but
neither the Administration or Congress are getting any credit for it. Gas
prices are a function of the war and the Iranian standoff. I don't really
see those as separate issues. Upcoming hurricane season is a media issue
right now; it only becomes a real issue if a major hurricane makes a direct
hit somewhere.

In the larger picture, I'm not sure I would want to win control of the House
just yet if I were the Democrats. If they win control, they will end up
holding the bag for all the problems that they have been beating up on the
Republicans for, and there are no short-term solutions for any of those
problems. What's worse, if they cave into pressure from their base and spend
two years investigating Bush, they will have pissed away the trust they
gained by their earlier opposition. If they come close but don't win
control, Democrats can spend the next two years continuing to hammer the
President and Congress for all of the current problems, then they can make a
real run at the White House and Congress in 2008.