I've seen it cost people their job.

Many companies don't have the technical know how, and don't understand
how to protect things. Many think things are protected and don't know
that they should be asking people for additional help.

In general if a person reveals your information, it is the fault of the
individual and it can result in them paying fines, not the organization.
HIPAA is more intended to keep people from talking.