So:

1) Reports comparing Ethanol production efficiency to Petrol are
Apples vs Oranges.
2) Even those reports are conflicting, depending on who you listen to.
3) No matter what the reports say, the process of producing Ethanol is
destined to become more efficient one way or another, while Petrol
production is mature and unlikely to become more efficient.

Winner - Ethanol!

-Cameron