I don't think he is the cause of the problem, but he certainly hasn't fixed it
-- have you heard anything about child support in the last six years? It is a
federal responsibility to some extent at least, since my MD court order would
theoretically be enforced by Texas or New Mexico or wherever I happen to be,
though I forget the term for that. Your cousin has a point -- if the dad goes
to jail, he stops earning money. Ditto the driver's license. We went through
that one, actually -- they were going to take away Mike's driver's license
because he quit sending his money to the state, because they were misplacing
it, and started sending it to me directly instead.

I had to write them several very haughty letters asking them to please not help
me any more, and oh by the way would they please tell the Department of Motor
Vehicles that they had made a mistake about that $50,000....I usually try to
neither complain nor explain, but maybe I should tell you my experience, just
to illustrate my contention that the system is incredibly fubar.

Mike and I broke up in Maryland and I was rather naive at the time. I was told
that I didn't need a lawyer and the state would collect my money for me. It
sounded like a good idea... except that the money went into some sort of back
hole in Annapolis and they would not tell me what they were doing with it --
they never talk to "clients" until there are six months worth of arrears. The
people I talked to on the phone all told me I was lucky I was collecting
anything, except it wasn't actually reaching me, and let's see, when we got to
court the judge issued a court order saying Mike had to pay -- less that one
third of what he was paying voluntarily. So of course he did. And I continued
to receive a week's worth of money, then nothing for a month, then another two
weeks' worth... Meanwhile, I had a big unexpected hole in my budget and could
no longer pay the babysitter, so then I lost my job, then the house as I then
had an even bigger unexpected hole in my budget. I'd call them and they would
tell me snottily that they cuoldn't send me what they weren't collecting. I'd
call Mike and he'd swear it was coming out of his check every week, and that
someone had had a serious talk with the company bookkeeper about what would
happen if it didn't.

Long story short they finally found all this money two years later after
everything went kablooie, and sent me a check, but meanwhile my credit was
trashed and they were all proud of themselves, because they collected this
money.... ::eyeroll:: They thought the idea of interest was hilarious.

I took the matter of the payment amout back to court myself without a lawyer --
the State of Maryland would not represent me, said that expecting what the
statute provided for was being greedy -- and reached an understanding with Mike
on my own. What the law provided for based on both our incomes was five times
higher than what had been ordered as a matter of routine.

This, mind you, is the system when it works, with a parent who is working,
making steady good money, and is willing to pay his child support. The law that
is on the books is never enforced and nobody is trying to do so. And that, boys
and girls, is how I learned why you run when the state wants to help you.

The parents who don't want to pay their child support, well, that's just how
the story goes and I've heard plenty of those stories chatting with mothers of
my kids' playmates. Court orders of fifty dollars a month against well-to-do
contractors and the like, which were simply being disregarded....

And that is why I laughed when you said Bush's position was that fertilization
made you accountable, lol.

You think this veto is really a matter of principle for him? I think he is very
much uninterested in the welfare of children or even of fetuses. This is
something that the religious right wanted, and he did not want to alienate
them. For them it may be a matter of principle, though I question their
priorities. To my mind, it is more important to keep the children who are
already born fed, clothed and housed. There are plenty of religious people who
would want us to do both, but they aren't making policy for the Rebublicans,
it's the strident fundamentalists who are doing that
right now...