I agree that the democrats are still a mess right now, but I'm not sure they
are in a worse position than the republicans. The republicans have
controlled everything for awhile now, and people are pretty pissed at how
things have worked out.

I think the dems have a chance at taking control of congress in spite of
themselves. If that happens, they'd better get their act together and start
coming up with some real solutions...because people won't have any tolerance
for more bungling.