On 10/9/06, Mary Jo Sminkey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Animal Control handled him, but just barely.  The guy was going to
> > just shoot him because he was so violent and almost too big for the
> > animal wagon cages, but he finally choked him so hard that he passed
> > out a little and was easier to handle after that.
>
> Wow, what a horrible experience to go through. That's very unusual for the
> breed if it was a mastiff, but sounds like the dog may have been abused if
> it was chained up, and just about any breed of dog can become aggressive
> when treated badly. That's one reason many of us in the dog fancy are
> against breed-specific legislation that targets dogs like pit bulls. It
> really doesn't matter what breeds you outlaw, the people that abuse and
> fight dogs will just move on to other breeds.

+1 on breed-specific legislation being, um, illogical.  Don't see chows
getting targeted, do ya? Or house cats?
And then there's the "well, if it attacked you, must have been a [pit]" type
deal...

Plus, some dogs are meant to guard.  You get a kid who thinks it's fun to
tease 'em, and... not pretty (usually
for the dog, which gets killed for being a dog, basically.  Especially if
it's a certain kind of dog).

Or there was one lady who "had the phear", (we've got a pit/boxer mix, and
you'd be surprised how many people
are scared "about" him, yet don't think twice about a little terrier, which
can trash your face just as easy) was
assured he was a sweetie, and then the little kiddo runs to him and actually
slapped him in the face.  He didn't
care, of course... I mean, if you're gonna hit these big headed dogs, aim
for the legs, or back- much as it pains
me to even think about. Children probably should be taught how to approach
dogs.

I guess having to run from the dogs in Baud-el-laaaas, and what not, made me
pay attention when my folks
told me the ins and outs of dogs, and what to do, and what not to do.  Like
that putting your hand over their
head to pet them isn't nearly as good (and may, in fact be bad) as keeping
your hand in their vision (more
sideways than over).  And I was always running from Chows, for some
reason... I'm still wary of 'em. (but
now at least, I don't run when I see a loose one ;-)

We took steps to make sure our guy (who is freaking awesome! He just ran off
with my shorts! Silly doggy) was
well trained, just because we'd hate to add to the madness, so to speak.
Well, speaking of, he really wants
some attention, so I'm gonna go play, while the bit of chocolate I ate still
holds out... ;-)

It pisses me off to see people abuse dogs to make them mean.  Here in NM,
it's far too common.

Anyone from over the pond? Are pit bulls really called the "nanny dog"
there, for like, saving drowning kids
and stuff?  It was in a book, and I like the story, but I wonder if it's
still in use, or ever was....

Ok, Ok, I'm stopping.  Sheesh!  This dog, I swear!  Thinks he's a member of
the pack or something...