A good diet can do wonders for a [dog].

We did Urban Wolf for a while, it's powdered and you mix it with beef, some
fish oil,
and whatever else you want to throw in there, and there's books on "real
food" for dogs
out there (I've got a good one, can't remember the name off hand tho).

Our little dude was a rescue pooch, and has some problems from the abuse he
got
and lack of nutrition... no hip sockets, for instance, stayed a pup for a
bit longer
than most, etc..
We give him some prolo(sp?) treatment, and aqua-puncture, which (along with
the
good diet) helped so much we've been able to put off a dreaded and expensive
surgery.

The Urban Wolf was kind of expensive, so we switched to Nuevo Evo (sp?),
some
wet and some dry, which he seems to enjoy quite a bit.  Still pretty
expensive, I
guess, but much easier to prepare.  I don't even cook for myself like I used
to... :-[

Double "what was said" about how it's good to brush their teeth and clip
their nails
from the outset.  You can generally tell by looking at the teeth how they're
doing,
(I brush his every once in a while, even though they look good... he really
needed
it when all he was getting was soft food) but the point about getting them
used
to it while young can't be stressed enough.  For everything.  It sucks,
especially
when they're so cute, to make them work for everything, but it's really
needed.
And get 'em used to you messing with 'em early!

Then you can go to doggy school too, which I highly recommend, especially if
there aren't other dogs to socialize with on a regular basis.

Our dooder still has trouble with his nails, I gotta roll him on his back
and be
sure he's relaxed just to avoid muzzling him for the clipping...

Also, some things just come with age, apparently.  Time has done wonders,
and continues to do so.

Life is so damn cool.  It really is.  Especially new life, neh? =]

-p.s. where's the pics?