First, confirm that you have the same goals.  Use a slow even deep voice.

Use empathy.  "I understand how you feel this way, ..."

Identify. "I felt the same way when my car wouldnt start because the
mechanic forgot the johnsonrod"

Then throw in how their peers may of gone thru the same experience but ended
benefiting. "Another customer felt this way but we fixed the problem before
any real damage occured and now they couldnt be happier because..."

Iterate a few times.

Never match your voice to theirs if they are raising theirs.  Always slow
and even.  The only exception is if your trying to make them identify.  So,
if they are talking louldy and fast, respond with "I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND, I
ONCE" but then move back to slow and even "GOT SCREWED BY A MECHANIC who did
this to me and I was angry."  So, you go into their area, identify, and
bring them back to a state where you can reason with them.

Think of it as an art form. Like herding cats.

DRE