As both Chris Matthews and Pat Buchanan stressed (as speech writers),
if you are reading from a prepared speech, never EVER go off script.
And for the love of god, don't skip any words.

Now, I think he should have _immediately_ apoligized to any military
person or family member who misunderstood his point. He should have
looked straight into the camera, and stressed his acknowledgement that
this is the best educated, smartest military in US history (and maybe
in the history of the world). And that he has nothing but the highest
respect for them. (If in fact, he believes these things).

Why does it seem that every politician has political touretts? Or a
slight case of Jim-Carey-in-Liar-Liar, where their true feelings leak
out now and then.