J-
re power dimming -

my APC UPS will supplement incoming power in a voltage drop to keep it
within an acceptable range, so it doesn't just work in a complete power
outage, it gives smoother power all the time. IMHO well worth the reasonable
price. Plus it will tell Windows to close files and shut down in an orderly
fashion if there is a blackout lasting long enough.

-B