<cfpun>
 BT didn't invent HTML. Maybe I'll patent the process of going to the
loo. I'll be #filthy# rich...
</cfpun>

 I don't know how British law works, but in the US, if you don't enforce
your patent, thus allowing it into undisputed public usage, you lose it.
And html hyperlinks have been publically used for some 9 years.