ya there are a lot of variables. However, if you really wanted to sit
down and enumerate them, then assign a probablility to each, you can
do that. It's not like trying to decide how likely it is that God
scratched his butt when he woke up this morning.

I think I forgot to post a link about the Drake equation, which is the
grand-daddy of such equations, attempting to express the probability
of life on other planets. I just found the following interactive
calculator, which is pretty nifty as a web app in and of itself.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/origins/drake.html

Anyway, never having been in the military I don't think I am the
person to devise odds of surviving being shot at, but I'd think
factors might include marksmanship of the shooter, wind, odds of other
objects intervening and the like.

Dana