http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?ctx=%67mail&hl=en&answer=10350

What is POP, and how do I use it?
POP, or Post Office Protocol, lets you download messages from Gmail's
servers onto your computer so you can access your mail with a program
like Microsoft Outlook Express or Netscape Mail, even when you aren't
connected to the Internet.

POP access is free for all Gmail users and we have no plans to charge
for it in the future.

Learn more about accessing your Gmail messages with POP:

    * How do I enable POP?
    * How do I configure my mail client?
    * What about IMAP?
    * POP for Outlook 2003 animated demo

        Having troubles with POP configuration? Windows users can download
the Gmail POP Troubleshooter tool to automatically diagnose any POP
issues with Outlook 2000 or newer, Outlook Express 6, or Thunderbird
1.5.