I'll give you a better example- Socrates. Despite the stories about Socrates
related by Plato, some historians have suggested that Socrates was a
fictional character created by Plato. We really have only Plato's word that
Socrates existed.

As for Jesus, there is plenty of evidence that he lived, just as there is
plenty of evidence that Mohammed lived. We also know that there was a city
of a size and shape and historical age very much like the ancient city of
Troy that was sacked by the Greeks in the Iliad. Does that mean that the
gods were involved?