> One of the folks on community told me of a Nikon D100 he had for sale.
> After I sent him an endless barage of questions I finally bought it.
>
> The camera is great.  It might take me a another year or two to learn
> how to use it, but so far I love it.

They both make a pretty good consumer digital SLR now, and anyone who has never
had one will be very happy with either I think. I do Canons because that is
what I started in 15 years ago and once you get a lens or two, you pretty much
will want to stick with that brand. Asking which is best is like comparing Mac
and Windows, people can be very devoted to their brand. I personally like Canon
because in the many years I've been in in photography, they have tended to be
the one innovating the most and coming out with new features first. Not that
Nikon doesn't beat them on some things, but Canon generally is ahead. The Rebel
for instance, was the first sub-$1K digital SLR to come out. But for the
average user that doesn't buy new cameras every couple years, it really doesn't
matter much. Best thing to do is just get your hands on each in a store and see
which one you like better in terms of how the controls are laid out and how it
feels to handle.

BTW - one thing you will most likely have to deal with when you get a digital
SLR is sensor dust. The newest models have some better cleaning functions to
prevent dust, but any older model will eventually have problems. Here's my
recommended swab with very detailed instructions on how to safely swab. I had
the unfortunate experience of learning about how bad dust can get quickly while
on a trip to Yellowstone. ;-)

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

--- Mary Jo