I set up a sole proprietorship under a DBA, meaning I do business as myself
using a separate name.

>From what I understand, this just means that the money you make belongs to
you, not the company, and that you're the one that pays taxes on it, not the
company -- you get great tax benefits this way. On the flip side, you're
liable for any debts you incur under that business name (meaning they can
take your house and all other personal assets), and your spouse and his/her
assets could be liable, too, if something bad happens.

I've heard this is the best route for micro-businesses (which, if your
number of employees = 1, then you're a micro-business).

As far as contracts, I use a contract generation software called
ContractEdge, which I tailor to each client. This is really because I
haven't had a single client with the same needs. Always, always, no matter
what, have a lawyer review whatever contract template you use. I go the
extra step and have mine review every contract, period.

You might check the National Association for the Self-Employed for more info
about anything and everything related to self-employment, especially taxes
and business structure.

www.nase.org

Shawna E. Hampton
r(E)-Visions Consulting