the problem with a single payer system is that you have to be able to
go outside it. You should have seen me tryng to pay cash for an xray
in Sault Ste Marie a while back. That's something you should be able
to do, and that particular situation didn't get resolved until I
threateded to drive into Michigan and tell American immigration that I
was seeking emergency health care.

On the other hand, when you get into a two-tier system like Britain's
then questions of equity arise. Of course they arise in the current US
system -- the poor actually get better health care generally. Mind
you, you have to *very* poor for this to be true.

Dana