I am very religious and believe the same thing.  Additionally, Pope John Paul
II stated that this belief is not incompatible with Roman Catholic Dogma.

>Myself, I'm at least somewhat religious, and I like to think that the 7 days
>God took to create the world was actually billions of years.

We all know God has a sense of humor, he made daughters.  But I don't think he
applied it to the fossil history of the world.  I have spent too much time
crawling around the Creataceaus badlands (Selma chalks) and digging in the
Eocene hurricane deposits (Gosport Sand) in Alabama to believe in young Earth.
Humping geophysical equipment across the chaos in Death Valley (Amargosa Chaos)
made me wish for a flat Earth, however.

>Whose to say that one of God's days was 24 hours long?  He doesn't live on a
>planet that rotates every 24 hours.

Exactly, and in Genesis he didn't create the Sun until day 3, iirc?  So how
were days measured before that?

And what most Bible Literalists ignore is that there are 2 creation stories in
Genesis.  So did God create the world and decide he didn't like it even if ity
was good and start all over?