By "under load" I mean continually applying more and more load until some
manner of reactionary behavior is recognizable in various parts of the system.
This is always what I mean when I refer to testing something under load,
because as you know there is no one metric that describes "load" for all
systems and applications.

My point is that during the load test you may see one or more performance
metrics on one or more parts of the system have a marked non-linear reaction to
a gradual linear increase in load, and both the amount of load at which this
happens and the degree of non-linearity that is exhibited will indicate how
scalable the system as a whole is under the current configuration.  I believe
that you could follow the queue of performance bottlenecks and tune each one to
the point of diminishing returns, and you would still see the same type of
behavior because, under stress, the extra work needed to *display* large images
(or a large number of small images) from the database will always cause this
behavior.  My preference would be to eliminate this problem from the design by
writing the images to disk and then just let IIS serve those image files
directly.

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Certified Advanced ColdFusion MX 7 Developer
BlueDragon Alliance Founding Committee

Get advanced intensive Master-level training in
C# & ASP.NET 2.0 for ColdFusion Developers at
ProductivityEnhancement.com