>I forgot the link
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article1469636.ece
>

>http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/293/5538/2187a
>
>SCIENTIFIC PUBLISHING:
>Peer Review and Quality: A Dubious Connection?
>Martin Enserink
>BARCELONA, SPAIN--Despite its flaws, letting scientists anonymously
>judge each other's work is widely considered the "least bad way" to
>weed out weak manuscripts or research proposals and improve promising
>ones. But that common wisdom was questioned last weekend at a meeting
>attended by hundreds of editors of medical journals and academics. In
>a meta-analysis that surprised many--and that some doubt--researchers
>found little evidence that peer review actually improves the quality
>of research papers.

this is all very cute but it doesn't say anything. I think I know a bit more
about this topic than anyone here (wife works on a medical journal and knows
the peer review process inside and out, and I know something about
meta-analysis, doing consulting work in the area on a regular basis, for more
info see http://www.lyonsmorris.com/MetaA/). first off the methodology the
authors used was flawed. Vote counting approaches really does not say anything
about the relationship they studied.

Moreover the authors did not make any with-in group comparisons, its another
comparing apples and oranges problem. In other words they lumped all sorts of
studies together and compared the summed result with the summed result from the
non-peer reviewed studies. A much better approach would have been to have done
within study type comparisons - i.e., compare all peer reviewed articles that
have looked at heart attacks with non peer reviewed studies.

Generally this meta-analysis is not all that good. Simple tripe would be a good
descriptor. A much better approach would have been to look at methodological
quality, ie was it a well designed an run study. In the work I've done, I've
found this to be a much larger determinant of effect size than almost anything
else. Unfortunately the peer review process cannot protect against most crap.
Typically what happens is that the editor has a very limited pool of reviewers.
They may know how to read a radiograph or NMR but have no clue on study quality.

larry